Monday, May 19, 2008


Yellow Dog Collectibles loves strays!

After a few decades of collecting and reusing junk that I have found on the side of the road or at yard sales or thrift shops, I filled up my house - and shed - and my friends' basements and....well you know how it goes.

Since I have a horrible fear of becoming one of those hoarders who has to carve paths between ceiling-high piles of crap just to get around the house, I started Yellow Dog - where strays become loved. It's all re-fabulous!

If you are looking for an item that completes you (for me, it was a chrome penguin ice bucket just like the one my parents used for all their fabulous parties) drop me a line. I'll keep an eye out for it on my jaunts.

So far, I've been asked to look for metal TV tray tables, Fransiscan apple pattern salad plates and Hall creamer and sugar bowl sets. Give me an exact maximum you would pay for the item and don't forget I'm in North Carolina - so shipping will set you back if you're not from around here!

You can check out my Yellow Dog booth at Katy-Did Antiques and Gifts, 140 E. Main Avenue, Gastonia, NC.

Soon, I'll be posting more pics of some of my favorite stuff - and history geek that I am, maybe a little background. Or, maybe just some project that I couldn't part with and still have in my house.

For now, how about a pic of an iron Virginia Metalcrafters Hunter doorstop. Beautiful detail - such delicate ankles! It's dated 1949 on the back and has been initialed twice by its artist! It could be yours!

These door stops were made in the Blue Ridge Mountain town of Waynesboro, Virginia. After metal production started up again after WWII, Virginia Metalcrafters hired an artist named Calvin Roy Kinstler to produce horse-themed gifts. Kinstler initialed this doorstop on the front and back. Guess he was proud of it!

Virginia Metalcrafters is still in business and you have probably seen their work in homes and gift shops in Williamsburg, the Smithsonian, Monticello, Old Salem and Charleston.

Hope you'll check back in soon to Yellow Dog - where quirky is as quirky does.

1 comment:

CharlotteV said...

Love it, love it, LOVE IT! I look forward to visiting often, in "real life" and in the blogosphere!